Tuesday, July 8, 2008

im in a nostalgic mood today...

one year ago today, i went to by far the best concert of my life. 

i still have the ticket stub for motion city soundtrack (with special guests sherwood) at chain reaction on july eighth, 2007. its on my corkboard of memories held in place by the "stuff i did with that one guy" pushpin. 

that was a night ill never forget. despite the fact that i felt like crap, and i was with a boy that i barely knew, who didnt yet know that i was madly in love with him, who is still one of my favorite people despite the fact that there was no chance of us at all, i had an amazing night. 

i fought my way through the crowd to the second or third row of the smallest, hottest club in southern california, to spend three hours vacuum sealed in a sweaty sardine tin of rock and roll. i couldnt feel anything below my pelvis, i could barely breathe, and within minutes i was so dehydrated that drinking from the water bottle that was making its way through the crowd seemed like a good enough idea to act upon. 

i didnt care about the opening acts, though they werent terrible, ive gone on to see two of the three of them again. i didnt ditch work to buy tickets for the sure to sell out show for them. i was there for motion city soundtrack, a band who have yet to stop inspiring me to do whatever it is im doing at any given moment, a band who always has the words to say how i feel even when i dont, a band who i firmly believe saved my life, a band i finally go to thank that night. 

yes, after the show i took the opportunity to say hi, and tell justin pierre what his music means to me. i almost cried, and my eyes mist up and my heart races when i think about that conversation, where he participated by giving me a hug, signing my shirt, and teaching me (and the boy) to sign "im drunk", which i still use as often as possible. 

the ride home was almost silent, i had never, and still havent, felt so terrible physically, yet so amazing emotionally. 

i saw motion city soundtrack again last month, and im seeing them twice next month on warped. 

1 comment:

Lucky Find Designs said...

lets get fucked up and die...im speaking figuratively of course.